Welcome to my list of each best keyboard for writers, depending on your situation. Are all keyboards built the same? They’re just a bunch of plastic keys. Can’t be that different, right?
Wrong. Some are mechanical. Some are backlit (check out the best backlit keyboards!). Some are ergonomic. Each one is unique, and each one will perform differently under different circumstances. If you’re looking for something specific, I’m sure we can find something that’s right for you in this list.
So, let’s jump in and take a look into some of the best keyboards for writers!
What is the best keyboard for writers? Here’s my top 10 list:
Best Ergonomic Keyboard
Best Wireless Keyboard
Most Stylish Keyboard
Best for Typing
Best for Travel
Best Bang for Your Buck
Best Multi-device Keyboard
Best Minimalist Keyboard
Best Retro Keyboard
What are the different types of writing keyboards?
On this list, I rank these writing keyboards based on the following features or types:
- Best overall
- Retro Style
- Minimalist Style
- Multi-device Use
Best keyboards for typing reviews
- TITAN SWITCH MECHANICAL (TACTILE) - Designed and built entirely by ROCCAT engineers and developed for gamers who love the feel of mechanical switches, but demand the feel of the crisp, tactile bump and instant responsiveness
- ADVANCED ANTI-GHOSTING - Technology optimized for gamers to ensure every key stroke of the most-used keys is registered – no matter how frantic the action gets
- AIMO ILLUMINATION - ROCCAT’s proprietary lighting eco-system connects compatible devices present vivid lighting scenarios right out of the box, without the need for extensive configuration; With full backlighting in 16.8 million colors
- MIXER-STYLE MEDIA CONTROLS - The volume dial and backlit media buttons allow you to adjust volume and mute/unmute on the fly, or toggle over to lighting control to adjust brightness
- CUSTOMIZED YOUR WAY - ROCCAT’s Easy-Shift[plus] technology adds a secondary function to compatible keys; Just hold down the designated modifier key for double the command power in an instant
- DETACHABLE PALM REST - Attaching with a premium magnetic solution, the included palm rest lets you adjust your setup to whatever’s comfortable for you, whether it’s a relaxed typing or aggressive gaming style
- LONG LASTING DURABILITY - The keyboard is reinforced by an aircraft-grade aluminum layer to make it extra strong and durable; Titan switches are designed to keep dust and dirt out, helping to keep it in top condition
- Sturdy construction
- Fast keys
- Silent keys (thank goodness!)
- Some people report some keys don’t work after a while
Not to play on the whole Vulcan thing, but this keyboard is like the Starship USS Enterprise of Keyboards. Its futuristic look and feel make you feel like Captain Kirk boldly typing what no man (or WOMAN!) has typed before. And it’s not just the look of this keyboard that sets it apart from others. It’s the keys themselves. The keys are Roccat Titan Switches that claim to be 20% faster than any other mechanical keyboard on the market, making it the best mechanical keyboard for writers.
The keys provide maximum bounce back with minimum chatter allowing for a smooth typing experience. On top of that (literally), the Roccat comes equipped with an aluminum top plate. This adds a lightweight durability to this awesome typing experience. The biggest drawback to this keyboard is its price. It’s not necessarily the cheapest option on this list, but definitely one of the best keyboards for writers.
- Split keyset design helps to position wrists and forearms in a natural, relaxed position
- Cushioned palm rest provides support and promotes a neutral wrist position
- Domed keyboard design positions wrists at a natural, relaxed angle
- Separate number pad provides greater flexibility for workspace setup
- Natural arc key layout mimics the curved shape of the finger tips
- Great ergonomic design
- Palm resting pad
- Trusted branding
- Battery lasts forever!
- Padding can get worn over time
When it comes to ergonomic keyboards, it’s one of two things. You either hate them or love em. Their unique split design can be confusing to some. But those that use them love the comfort they provide. This keyboard has all the bells and whistles of a premium ergonomic keyboard. Contoured palm resting pads, domed keyboard design positioned, angled keys, the works. If you’re looking for an ergonomic keyboard… This is your best bet. Just like the Roccat above, the Microsoft Sculpt is not cheap. But… well worth the money for those who spend the majority of their time on a keyboard.
- Multi-device wireless keyboard: Beautiful type-on-everything keyboard with easy switching between three devices, including any computer, tablet and smartphone
- Logitech FLOW cross-computer typing: Use as a regular keyboard or combine with a compatible Logitech FLOW mouse (sold separately) to type, copy, paste and move files seamlessly between computers
- Comfortable typing: Full size, fully equipped keyboard with large, quiet keys and convenient number pad
- Integrated phone and tablet stand: Holds your devices at the perfect angle to type and read
- Wide compatibility: Windows 8 or later , Mac OS X 10.10 or later , iOS 5 or later , Android 5.0 or later Chrome OS
- OS Adaptive: Automatically recognizes each device and maps keys to give you a familiar layout, including hotkeys and shortcuts
- Two year battery life*: Virtually eliminates the need to change batteries (*Battery life calculation based on an estimated two million keystrokes/year in an office environment. User experience may vary.)
- Multi-device compatible
- Solid wireless tech
- Good battery life
- Auto-sleep mode is annoying
Are you a Mac owner? Or perhaps you’re a PC person? Do you use a tablet or smartphone to write? Doesn’t matter This keyboard is like the one size fits all of keyboards. It is compatible with nearly every device you can think of. And… it’s wireless! Just connect via Bluetooth and you’re ready to go. The keyboard takes only two AAA batteries and claims that it can run up to two full years on a single set. Now, that’s impressive. When it comes to wireless capabilities and compatibility, this Logitech should be your top choice.
- A Classic Reborn: Design Originated By Vintage Typewriters And Crafted With Ultramodern Features, The Azio Retro Classic Is The Perfect Amalgam Of Past, Present, And Future
- Genuine & Luxurious: Genuine Leather Or Wood Top Plate. Leather Reflects Taste, Craftsmanship, And Exclusiveness While Emitting A Unique Charm That Inspires
- Tactile. Clicky. Backlit: The Backlit Mechanical Keys Are Tuned To Be Tactile And "Clicky", Reminiscent Of Vintage Typewriters
- Forged. Polished. Plated: The Keyboard Frame Is Forged With Aluminum Alloy And Plated Into A Beautiful Chrome/Satin Finish To Accompany The Leather Top Plate
- Nice retro design
- Wireless device
- Supports multiple devices
- Pretty pricey
Now, if you’re like me this might just be the keyboard for you. For me, writing isn’t just a hobby. It’s a passion. A total experience. And… I may just be a little extra at times. This keyboard is a full on package. It’s funky and retro, but high functioning and practical. The clicky clack of the keys emulates an old-school typewriter. And it may have one of the coolest top plates around. Leather framed by a zinc aluminum alloy. But as far as practicality is concerned, it comes equipped with Bluetooth so it can be used as a wireless device. It is also supported on both Mac and PC. So good looks and great function… This thing reminds me a lot of me. But like some of the others on this list… It can be a bit expensive.
- Faster Than Legacy Mechanical Switches: Razer Optical switches use light-based actuation, registering key presses at the speed of light (30% shorter actuation distance than other clicky switches at 1.5 millimeter) with satisfying, clicky feedback
- Ultimate Personalization & Gaming Immersion with Razer Chroma: Fully syncs with popular games, Razer hardware, Philips Hue, and gear from 30 plus partners; supports 16.8 million colors on individually backlit keys
- Quality, Aluminum Construction: Covered with a matte, aluminum top frame for increased structural integrity. Keycaps-Regular ABS
- Ergonomic, Magnetic Wrist Rest: Made of plush leatherette to maximize comfort over extended gaming sessions (with built-in underglow lighting)
- Fully Programmable Macro Support: Razer Hypershift allows for all keys and keypress combinations to be remapped to execute complex commands
- Unrivalled Durability: Supports up to 100 million clicks with a 2 year manufacturer warranty, double the lifespan of most competitor keyboards
- Lightweight and fast
- Nice satisfying clicks
- Supports up to 100 million keystrokes
- Keys can be loud for some
- Some users report sticking
The Razor Huntsman Elite definitely lives up to its name as being an elite keyboard. It has one of the fastest response times available on the market today. The keys are super lightweight and easy to press, but provide that clicky assurance that we are all looking for. Oh, did I forget to mention its durability rating? The Huntsman Elite boasts a durability of up to 100 MILLION keystrokes. Jeez Louise! That’s insane. For professional writers, the Razor may be the perfect choice.
- Foldable and easily portable
- Extremely lightweight
- Amazing battery life
- Doesn’t work with non-mobile devices
- Can be a little cramped for your hands
Are you a writer on the go? Or perhaps a travelling blogger? You need a keyboard that works great and travels better. That’s why this foldable keyboard is just so awesome! The keyboard can last up to three months on just a single charge–or less if you use it often. Now, the thing is… This keyboard works awesome with mobile devices. And that’s about it. So no hooking your laptop or desktop up to this one. But for those on the go, this can be an invaluable tool.
- Aircraft grade anodized brushed aluminum frame: Built to withstand a lifetime of gaming. Lightweight and rugged durability, necessary for a keyboard that's going to see a lot of action
- 8MB profile storage with hardware macro and lighting playback: Allow access up to three stored profiles on the go, independent of external software. Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista
- Dynamic multicolor per key backlighting with light edge: Adjust each key's color and illumination level in addition to 19 zones on the top edge light bar for sophisticated and dramatic animations
- 100 percentage Cherry MX Speed RGB mechanical key switches: Unleash blistering speed with the 1.2 millimeter actuation and durability of gold contact Cherry MX mechanical key switches
- 6 programmable G keys for in game macros: Assign single keystrokes or complex multi key combos to any of the 6 dedicated macro keys. Full key (NKRO) with 100 percentage anti-ghosting. HID keyboard report rate: 1000 Hz
- Has everything you need
- Great battery life and performance
- Balanced design
- Not a budget option (though it has everything you need at a low price)
This keyboard is just a great all around choice. Not too fancy, but definitely high quality. It comes fully equipped with Cherry MX Red key switches which allows for optimum performance and silent running. However, the best feature of this keyboard is (For me, anyway) is that it is spill and dust resistant! I am so terrified to keep my teacup near my computer as I type. This could be a great option for klutz such as myself and one of the best keyboards for writers.
- Fashion & Quiet Design: Compact-sized 90 round silent click key caps with glossy and smooth edge technology and new fresh color brighten up your device and your desk. Sleek keyboard with low profile whisper-quiet keys deliver comfortable and smooth typing.
- Multi-Device Dual-Mode Design Wireless Keyboard: Support Bluetooth V4.0 Wireless all in 1 Connection. 20m or 66 feet range.
- Ultra-Slim Cross-Compatible Keyboard: Compatible with Windows, iOS,Mac and Android OS, Recognize Operation System Automatically after paired, no pass code needed
- Space-Saving:Support 3 Different HID Device (like mobile phone, laptop and PC) keep High speed connecting same time and shift on different devices easily,This Wireless Keyboard could use for 3 of your Devices at Same time,help you Save Space
- 100% Customer Satisfaction:30 days money-back and 12-months guaranty, when you are not satisfied with our product or you have any question, please contact with us to get a after-sale service, we will give you a satisfied response.
- Great multi-device compatibility
- Super stylish
- Slim and lightweight
- Somewhat low battery life
We’ve got a few items on this list that will technically work on a bunch of different devices. However, this is one that is clearly geared towards multi-device usage, and it’s also super cute to boot!
This wireless multi-device keyboard from Attoe will work with a table, a phone, or even your PC or Mac. It also comes with a sleek groove that lets you insert your tablet or phone to hold it up. If you do a lot of writing on your tablet, I would definitely recommend this beauty for you.
- Easy Setup: Simply insert the nano USB receiver into your computer and use the keyboard instantly.
- Ergonomic design: Stainless steel material gives heavy duty feeling, low-profile keys offer quiet and comfortable typing.
- 6-Month Battery Life: Rechargeable lithium battery with an industry-high capacity lasts for 6 months with single charge (based on 2 hours non-stop use per day).
- Ultra Thin and Light: Compact size (11.1 X 5.3 X 0.16in) and light weight (10.2oz) but provides full size keys for comfortable typing.
- Package contents: Arteck Stainless 2.4G Wireless Keyboard, nano USB receiver, USB charging cable, welcome guide, our 24-month warranty and friendly customer service.
- Long battery life
- Clean design
- No Bluetooth
- Doesn’t work with Macs
For some of you, all these fancy bells and whistles are too much. You just want something that works and nothing else. Or perhaps you’re a sucker for minimalist designs like some people I know (I’ll admit to not being one of them, my house is a mess).
This keyboard from Arteck is the best minimalist keyboard around. Plus it’s super cheap! This will work wirelessly using a nano USB receiver (sorry, no Bluetooth), and it’s super light weight. If I had to complain about anything it would be the keyboard doesn’t work for Mac, although many people are calling it the PC version of a standard Mac keyboard.
- Easy to connect:With the upgrade Bluetoooth 5.0 version,faster to switching between A to B or C Device.No longer complain about the boredom of slow switching.
- Switch lights at will：You can adjust the white Led lights mode by pulling the lever, which is interesting when work. You can also adjust the volume and brightness of the light by twisting the wheels.
- Built-in hot swap blue switch:The classic typewriter style is integrate with premium hot swappable blue switch keyboard technology. Accelerate the speed of typing and enjoy the "Click"feeling by the old royal typewriter
- Revisit retro style by modern technology：Our panels are made by aluminum alloy metal electroplated wood grain, mate black pull rods and rollers, and electroplated round key caps. Every detail is perfect to present the retro.
- More Compatiblity:Compatible with Cellphone,Tablet or laptop with Android, Windows10, iOS and Mac OS system.You can connect it with desktop PC with USB wire.If you have more required,contact with our service team please.We will reply within 24h.
- Terrific design
- Works with multiple devices
- Good battery life
- The well is a little too small for larger tablets like the iPad Pro
- A bit pricey
What? Not everyone has ever dreamed of having a modern keyboard that looks like a typewriter keyboard? Just me? Well okay then.
If you love the retro look, you’ll love this retro keyboard from 7KEYS, which really gives you the look and feel of a typewriter, but is also wireless, and will work seamlessly with a tablet or smartphone. It even has a groove to set them in!
Things to Consider Before Purchasing the Best Keyboard for Writing
There are several factors you should look into before buying a keyboard.
Wired vs Wireless
This is a huge quality of life decision you need to make before purchasing. Each has its own distinct advantages and disadvantages. Wired keyboards are awesome for their response time. Because the keyboard is directly hard wired to your device, there is much less response time lost than with wireless keyboards. Plus, if for some reason you don’t have a good wireless connection…you’re still good to go. Also, there’s no need for you to charge or buy batteries.
As far as wireless goes, the freedom of being away from your device can be liberating. Anybody else use a smart TV or monitor to cruise Netflix? I know I do. And being able to change between binge worthy shows from the comfort of my own couch… Priceless. Ultimately, the choice is up to you and what purpose you will use your keyboard for.
Standard vs. Ergonomic
Some keyboards are built to be more ergonomic, or in other words, better on my lightning fast typers. For those who do a lot of writing, these can often be a great option.
That said, there’s a HUGE learning curve to some of these keyboards, as they are not built like most of us are used to. Plus, a standard keyboard usually has a lot more options, and they can still be great for writers.
Mechanical vs Membrane
So… what in the heck does this even mean? Well, it refers to the way the keys are actually pressed. With membrane keyboards, a series of membranes and pressure pads transfer data for the keys to be pressed. These membranes are often very lightweight in nature leading to a lighter overall keyboard. They are also much quieter than typing on a mechanical keyboard and definitely cheaper to boot.
A mechanical keyboard on the other hand uses an actual mechanical device such as a switch to actuate the key press. Whenever you see a missing key cap on a keyboard… it’s probably a mechanical keyboard. The removable key caps makes the keyboard much easier to clean. Mechanical keyboards also tend to be sturdier than their membrane counterparts. All in all, mechanical types make the best keyboards for writers. However, they are a bit noisier, heavier, and more expensive than membrane types.
Before purchasing a keyboard, you should definitely look to make sure that the durability is rated for exactly what you need it for. For hardcore writers, you should look for the highest durability you can. This is often measured via keystrokes. But sometimes, this can be a little misleading. So when looking for durability, I would recommend that you assess your usage. If you are gonna need that extra ruggedness, be sure to look into picking up a mechanical keyboard.
What is the best writing keyboard for me? My conclusion
Choosing the best keyboards for writers may seem like a simple decision. But… don’t be so hasty. If you’re a simple writer with simple needs, choose what you like and what’s within your budget. But… if you’re a serious writer, be sure to take into consideration all other factors before jumping to a decision.
If you’re looking for my suggestion of the best writing keyboard: the Roccat Vulcan.
Best Typing Keyboards FAQs
What keyboards do professional writers use?
Professional writers use the keyboards that everyone else uses! There are a lot of different options out there, from ergonomic, to quick typing keyboards, to plain stylish keyboards. There are every people who dictate their book and don’t use a keyboard at all!
What type of keyboard is best for fast typing?
The fastest keyboards for typing are keyboards with low impact, meaning you don’t have to push them down very far in order to type. This means that your fingers can move faster. I personally recommend dictation (see link above) if you’re looking to write faster, however.
Are mechanical keyboards better for writing?
If you’re looking to write faster, a mechanical keyboard will not be better for writing. However, they can provide a much better feeling and style if that’s what you prioritize above speed. Many keyboards are still made as mechanical keyboards because people like them.