[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Welcome to this roundup of the best blue light blocking glasses that money can buy!
Is it just me or does anyone else spend a crazy amount of time on their cell phone? No? Perhaps your computer? Or maybe tablet or e-reader?
Nowadays, it’s kind of hard to avoid. We are in the age of technology after all. The Digital Era. But as much as this tech can make our lives easier or entertain, it can also put a strain on our minds and bodies. More specifically through harmful light rays.
Enter blue light and UV blocking lenses and glasses.
These lenses can help to alleviate problems caused by prolonged exposure to harmful light. But remember… Not all glasses are built the same. There are so many duds and fakes out there on the market. Let’s help guide you away from the knock-offs and towards the best blue light filter glasses out there.
What are the best blue light blocking glasses? Here’s my top 12 list:
- Readerest Anti-Reflective Magnification Blue Light Glasses
- KLIM Optics Blue Light Blocking Glasses
- PROSPEK – Premium blue light computer glasses
- PROSPEK Premium Computer Glasses
- Fitover Anti-Blue Blocking Computer Glasses with Flex Frame
- GAMEKING Clip-On Blue Light Blocking Glasses
- Swannies Gamer and Computer Eyewear
- GAMMA RAY Computer Glasses with Magnification
- Cyxus Blue Light Filter Glasses
- GAMMA RAY Slim Vintage Computer Readers
- TIJN Blue Light Blocking Glasses
- Dave Asprey Glasses
Blue light filter glasses comparison chart (top 12 highest rated)
Here are some of the different types of blue-light blocking glasses that you will find:
- Yellow glasses
- Untinted glasses
- Clip-on glasses
- Rimless glasses
Additionally, see my post for the best reading glasses overall.
Best Anti-Blue Light Glasses Reviews
1. Readerest blue light blocking reading glasses (best blue light blocking glasses overall)
I’ve tried a bunch of different blue light glasses, but these Readerest Glasses are really something else. They’ve got a great design that just feels right when resting on your face and their spring-loaded hinges keep everything taut to prevent sliding. And they come in all sorts of different colors! But most importantly, they do an amazing job of blocking out harmful blue light.
No products found.
Spring Loaded Hinges
- The spring-loaded hinges serve a couple of purposes. First, they help prevent the glasses from sliding down your face. Secondly, they help the glasses retain their shape for long lasting protection.
- Are you hard on your glasses? If so, you’re gonna want something that can last. The scratch resistant lens on these glasses will help ensure that you’re seeing clearly for longer.
Color and Magnification Options
- Get the glasses you need in the colors and magnifications you want! There’s 6 different colors and 7 different magnifications to choose from. This ensures your glasses are just as unique as you are.
2. KLIM Optics Blue Light Blocking Glasses (Runner-Up Best Blue Light Filter Glasses)
The KLIM Optics Blue Light blocking glasses are our runners-up. Their sleek design offers one of the highest blue light filtering percentages out of all the glasses we have scoped out. They are exceptionally lightweight and comfortable for your face. Although they pack a punch quality-wise, they are not too hard on your budget. With these, you get more than you pay more. These truly are one of the best anti blue light glasses.
No products found.
German Made Lenses
- These German made lenses filter out a whopping 86% of blue light. This rating is much higher than the industry average.
Durable and Lightweight
- The frames are made partly out of TR90, an extremely durable yet lightweight material. The glasses weigh in at only 20g, so they will rest comfortably on your nose.
- The yellow tint actually helps to further reduce your blue light exposure. It will take a minute for you to adjust after putting them on, but you will be glad that you did.
3. PROSPEK – Premium blue light computer glasses (Best for Office Wear)
The Prospek premium computer glasses are our selection for the most professional looking pair of blue light computer glasses. There is no yellow tint on them. Gone are the prying questions and silly looks you may get from jealous coworkers. On top of that, they actually function very well.
No products found.
- These lenses block out 50% of blue light. Much less than the ones above it. Yet, the lenses are clear with no yellow tint. This makes them perfect for office wear with no color distortion
All Devices Covered
- The Prospek blue light protection glasses were developed to ensure that all computer screens, phones, and tablet blue light frequencies are covered.
90 Day Money Back Guarantee
- These blue light blocking glasses for women and men come equipped with a 90 day no-questions-asked money-back guarantee for those who feel these aren’t the right fit.
4. ElementsActive Fitover blue light protection glasses (Best Fitover)
If you wear corrective lenses, buying any form of eyewear can be an absolute nightmare. You need to take off your corrective glasses, but then you can’t see through your cool new shades. Or perhaps all you can find are extremely bulky fitovers. Either way, not fun. With these, however, you can still experience the benefits of blue light protection.
No products found.
- These glasses have a much more flexible frame than most other fitovers on the market. No need to worry if you will end up snapping them when putting them on. Great for teenagers or unruly adults.
Amber Colored Lenses
- These lenses filter out 100% of blue light and provide extra protection with their amber tint. These do require a bit getting used to due to the darker nature of color distortion. May not be ideal for gamers before an adjustment period, but are still one of the best computer glasses for general use.
- These fitovers are FDA certified ensuring that the the protection you want is the protection you are getting.
5. GAMEKING Ultra Lightweight Blue Light Clip-On Glasses (Best Clip-On)
Not a fan of the fit over style glasses, but still need something to wear with your corrective lenses? Look no further than the GAMEKING Ultra lightweight clip-ons. These clip-ons fit on almost every other corrective frame.
No products found.
Lightweight and Super Durable
- These clip-ons weigh only 8g! Coupled with other lightweight corrective glasses, these can become the lightest blue light blocking glasses on the market. They are also incredibly durable. They have passed the FDA Drop Ball test ensuring maximum impact resistance.
Anti Blue Light and UV
- They have a blockage percentage of 60% of all blue light. The lenses do allow some blue light to pass through to ensure long term effects of blue light deficiency are not experienced.
Lifetime Breakage Warranty
- These come equipped with a LIFETIME WARRANTY! These clip-ons are definitely worth every penny.
6. Swannies Gamer and Computer Eyewear (Best Blue Light Blocking Glasses for Gaming)
In the world of competitive gaming, fashion is not overlooked. Many picture gamers as plain and drab. But the truth is… that is normally far from the case. For those looking for blue light blocking abilities with bold fashion, look no further. The Swannies come in an exotic tortoiseshell pattern sure to make a statement. But that’s not all they can do.
No products found.
- These are outfitted with orange lenses that block blue light better than other lenses. They are made out of CR-39 for superior clarity and lightweight for maximum wearability. Also, they are coated with anti-reflective and anti-glare coatings, making them excellent anti glare blue light glasses.
Acetate Frame and Spring Hinges
- The acetate frame is more environmentally friendly than other petroleum-based plastics. Coupled with spring hinges for maximum flexibility, these glasses surely will outperform the competition.
- We all know that “one size fits all” is normally a lie. That’s why these glasses come in multiple sizes to best fit your head. The glasses are even customizable all the way down to lense dimensions.
7. GAMMA RAY 003 Computer Glasses w/ Magnification (Best Blue Light Reading Glasses)
You may not need full-time corrective lenses. Many don’t. But some of us still need reading glasses. Reading glasses are not necessarily corrective but provide a degree of magnification to cut through all the fine print. Gamma Ray Optics offers just what you need, but with blue light blocking technology, making this pair the top reading glasses with blue light filter on my list.
No products found.
Differing Degrees Available
- Whatever your needs are, Gamma Ray is sure to have a set of blue light blocking glasses for you.
Simple and Stylish
- These blue light blocking reading glasses come in an all black plastic frame ready to suit all occasions. They are not, however, the coke bottle frames of the past yet sleek, modern design.
Great Customer Care
- Comes with a 90-day money back guarantee and a lifetime breakage warranty on both frame and lenses.
8. Cyxus blue light filtering glasses (Honorable Mention)
For those of you searching for basic pair of blue light filter glasses. This is the pair for you. They are a simple black frame with clear lenses. They have no magnification or color tint. Their sole purpose is to block out harmful blue light. They are a global brand and able to ship just about anywhere.
No products found.
9. Gamma RAY 010 Slim Vintage blue light filter glasses (Honorable Mention)
These Gamma Ray Optics glasses are another set of plain and simple glasses. They do however come in varying grades of magnification as needed. They also come in three separate colors. You are sure to find a matching fit with a pair of these. These are shaped with a more vintage style than the previous Gamma Ray eye wear.
No products found.
10. TIJN anti blue light glasses (Honorable Mention)
This pair of blue light blocking glasses is for those looking to make a statement. They are square shaped and completely transparent. Don’t let the transparency fool you though. They are well equipped with anti blue light properties. Although they will not block as much as the others on this list, you will look cool doing so.
No products found.
What are blue light reading glasses & what do they do?
So, What Actually is Blue Light?
Ok. Picture this. Light can be represented on a rainbow scale.
You remember ROY G BIV from elementary school, right? If not… here’s a quick refresher.
ROY G BIV is the order of the colors in a rainbow.
Now. Follow me here. Time to get our science on.
Science of Blue Light
Light has been observed to move in wave-like patterns. When represented on a graph, it looks a little something like this:
The upper most points are called the crests.
These crests are very important for determining wavelength. Because wavelengths are measured by the distance from one crest to another.
Back to those colors. It has been also observed that colors at the beginning of the rainbow– i.e. Red and Orange– have longer wavelengths.
That means that the waves are less intense due to a fewer number of waves transmitted in any given amount of time.
On the other hand, colors at the end of the rainbow– i.e. Blue, Indigo, and Violet– have much shorter wavelengths.
This means that these shorter wavelength colors are much more intense due to a higher number of waves transmitted in any given amount of time.
So, BLUE LIGHT is a high intensity, high energy form of light. But the most inconvenient part of this is… Blue light falls on the visible light spectrum (not all light is visible–different lesson for a different time).
And it’s becoming more and more common.
Common Sources of Blue Light Exposure
As I mentioned earlier, your favorite devices and gadgets may be causing more harm to you than you know.
You see, one of the most common sources of blue light is through LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes).
LEDs today are found pretty much everywhere. From flashlights, to light bulbs, to your television set. Why is that? Because they are a wonderful source of pure bright light.
Other common sources of blue light from LEDs come from:
- Cell phones
- Digital Clocks
- Smart watches
Essentially, any gadget with a backlit screen. Now, you may not stare at your digital clock for hours on end. But cell phones, computers, tablets, and e-readers pose an actual credible risk for overexposure to blue light.
Blue Light- Advantages and Disadvantages
Now. blue light isn’t always a bad thing. Sometimes it can be good for you. Let’s go over some of the differences between good blue light and bad blue light.
Good Blue Light
Regulates your Circadian Rhythm
- Blue light is actually extremely important in maintaining your circadian rhythm. Your circadian rhythm is your body’s internal sleep/wake cycle. This is most effective when you receive blue light exposure during daytime hours. Prolonged exposure to blue light in the evening, however, can have an adverse effect. Too much blue light at nighttime– say from an e-reader– can actually mess with this cycle. Instead of reading to help you sleep, it can keep you awake and lead to daytime tiredness.
Great for Psychological Well Being
- Blue light is also used for therapeutic purposes as well. Particularly for a syndrome known as SAD or Seasonal Affective Disorder. This disorder is a type of depression that is related to the changing of the seasons. Blue light plays a major role in light therapy used to treat this.
Keeps you Alert and Active
- When there is bright light around, your body produces 2 hormones. Serotonin and cortisol. Serotonin can be thought of as your happy hormone. Where cortisol is known as your stress hormone. Both of these keep you awake and active. When there is an absence of light, melatonin is produced. This is what helps you go to sleep.
Bad Blue Light
Can Lead to Macular Degeneration
- Remember when we said blue light is more intense than other colors? Well, that intensity allows it to travel further into your eye. As a matter of fact, it travels all the way to the back lining of your eye known as your retina. This is not desirable. Repeated and prolonged exposure to blue light can begin to damage the light-sensitive cells of your retina. This leads to macular degeneration, a symptom when unchecked can lead to permanent vision reduction or loss.
Increases Digital Eye Stress
- The intensity of blue light can do more than just affect the retina. The short wavelengths actually cause the light to scatter more across a surface. This scattering effect (also known as Rayleigh scattering) can cause your eyes to not focus as well as they should. It is most common when using digital devices such as cellphones, tablets, and computers.
Despite the benefits of blue light, the negatives can be pretty severe. This is why it is so important to consider wearing proper eye protection when using blue light emitting devices.
What are the best blue light computer glasses for me? My Conclusion
Of the options on this list, you should definitely check out Readerest glasses, but any of these will do in a pinch, or depending on your specific needs.
The reason I like the Readerest is because they don’t have too strong of a tint, and they’re really great and functional.
But which one do you like? Let me know in the comments below.
FAQs on the best blue light glasses
Do blue light blocking glasses really work?
Yes, blue light blocking glasses really work at blocking blue light. There is some debate about how beneficial this is to the eyes overall, but in general there is scientific evidence that it does have an effect on those who use them, especially for those who use them at night before sleep.
What are the most effective blue light glasses?
Any brand of blue light glasses will be effective. Most use the same technology and have the same effect. The questions you’ll want to look at are what type of glasses you might want to use (see above), and if you want yellow glasses or tinted glasses, etc.
Are more expensive blue light glasses better?
In most cases, more expensive blue light glasses are not going to be much better than cheaper blue light glasses, at least not when it comes to blocking blue light. Some more expensive glasses may be more comfortable, or you could get a prescription pair that will cost more.
What should I look for in blue light blocking glasses?
You should look at the different features like whether you want something that clips on, fits around other glasses, is yellow or clear, etc. These extra features are the most important as they depend on your preferences. Most will effectively block blue light anyway.
Can blue light glasses damage your eyes?
No, blue light glasses are far more likely to protect your eyes from harmful blue light caused by your screens and devices. These are what can cause harm to your eyes over time, not the glasses. Some people have been known to find glasses of any kind to be uncomfortable, so that is something to watch for.