Whether you need a book light for reading in bed, or just need a book light to help improve your reading experience, I've taken the time to research, and test the best reading lights and book lights on the market.
In this book light review, we'll be covering the best clip-on book lights for reading in bed, or for the mobile reader who wants a little light to help improve their reading experience.
Best Book Lights - Ranked Best to Worst
As you can see, we've listed the best book lights for you and included some of the differences between them like whether or not they are clip-on book lights, rechargeable book lights or whether they serve as a portable reading light.
Best Book Light Reviews
1. Raniaco Daylight Reader (Best Overall)
- ✔Touch Switch with 3 Levels Of Adjustable Brightness---Low setting is ideal as a night light using without disturbing your bedmate; while high setting is suitable for reading or studying
- ✔Built In 1000mAh Rechargeable Battery with USB Interface Design (No charger)--- raniaco book lamp can be powered by USB charger, plug and play, notebook PC USB, Mobile phone adapter, Car usb and etc
- ✔Easy To Use With Clip Base Or Stand---The reading light comes with a clamp holder which can be opened at 2.36inch and placed on your desk or fixed at the edge when you want to read. It saves you space, protects your eyes and makes you create the feeling of trendiness
- ✔360 Degrees Rotating Flexible Design With Adjustable Twisted Tube--The Super anti slip silicone pad coupled with its light body makes it sturdy when placed in a standing position
- ✔With 12 LED Bulbs And Long Battery Life Of 24 Hours: The frosted lampshade design is unique. The Soft light is ideal for your eyes as it does not flicker or produce negative radiation
The Raniaco Daylight 12 LED reading light gets my #1 best book reading light vote because not only is it the sturdiest of them all, it is the most powerful light with 12 LED bulbs and uses 3 adjustable brightness settings. I found the adjustable lights incredibly important because it allowed me to change light intensity, thus making this the best reading light at bedtime. Add that to the fact that this is the only one with a 3-year money back guarantee, and it totally became my new best friend in reading.
The only thing I had against this one is that it isn't the prettiest of them all. However, I'm usually using these lights when in bed. So, who am I trying to impress?
So, check out this sturdy, well built, highly luminescent book reading light. It's got a permanent place at my bedside.
2. Vekkia Rechargable Light
No products found.
The Vekkia book light is not as powerful as the Raniaco, holding only 6 LEDs. However, like the Raniaco, it does have a 3 settings for light intensity. Because of the lower light capability of the Vekkia, the battery lasts much longer and also the light weighs less. I personally am not too concerned with this, because I've found the weight difference of 2 ounces to be minimal, and would prefer a more powerful light source if I need it. Also, while I thought the battery life would be very important, I've been reading for over a couple of months and haven't had to recharge my book light since. So, the battery life isn't that much of a concern.
Also, while the Vekkia claims to have soft/warm light, I didn't see much of a difference but did like the light's illumination path. This reading book light also includes a 3 year warranty, which is nice. Therefore, because of the dependability and light illumination, the Vekkia gets my #2 for best reading light.
3. Vekkia Bookmark Light (Best Traveling Book Light)
- 🔖PERFECT BOOK LIGHT FOR BEDTIME READING - Experts agree that reading is the very last thing most successful people do before going to sleep. We are committed to creating a booklight for you to enjoy reading at night. It takes more care of your eyes. Our book light has 3 Colors with dimmable brightness. Choose your favorite mode.
- 🔖LOVE TO READ AT NIGHT WITHOUT DISTURBING OTHERS? Recommend this reading light to anyone who has the same problem or just likes a little extra light on their books. The soft light never disturbs your spouse. Uniform luminance prevents your eyes from strain. No matter you are reading in bed or working with Kindle, enough illumination on both sides of pages.
- 🔖HEADING TO TRAVEL? CHOOSE OUR PORTABLE BOOK LIGHT - Our book light can be made flat and act as a bookmark. 1. 5oz lightweight, won't add much weight to your book or Kindle. The soft rubber allows you to bend it into any shape & position you like. It is ultra-thin and handy enough to take anywhere.
- 🔖BUILT-IN USB RECHARGEABLE, NO MORE WASTING MONEY ON BATTERIES - High-quality 250mAh rechargeable lithium battery will offer up to 20 hrs of continuous illuminating in lowest mode. Don't bother to find another cable when the light needs to be charged, built-in USB can be plugged directly into a mobile adapter, power bank, computer USB port and so on.
- 🔖RESPECT FOR READERS - Vekkia aims to provide higher quality products for great readers. Reading is a great art and spirit for entire human beings. We build this bookmark light with respect. Our great customer service responses in 24 hours. Give it a try with our NO-FUSS 30 days Money Back.
This gets the third spot in my list because of how sleek it is and easy it is to carry. Also, because of its flexible charging plug, it's very easy to plug into my laptop while traveling. Therefore, I decided to keep this one and permanently put it in my purse. The switch to turn it on isn't bad either, with it being on the side. This makes it so that it doesn't inadvertently turns on like some of the others do. I've had a couple of book reading lights run the batteries dead because the light was inadvertently turned on while I was traveling and I didn't know it. While not perfect, this one's button design is better than most to stop this sort of thing from happening.
However, it only has 1 LED and boasts four light settings. I found that the light produced, while soft and pleasant, didn't show enough for my books. Also, because the light isn't diffused, it didn't cover the entire area of my book. Also, be careful with the battery life. This one sports the lowest battery life of all. But then again, I think that's a sacrifice worth making for such a small and sleek light.
4. CeSunlight Rechargable (Best Hands Free Light)
- ♥ Powerful Rechargeable Lithium Battery. Its 700mAh battery takes only 3 hours to get fully charged and can last up to 6-8 hours with high brightness and 10 hours with normal brightness. Do not have to waste money on buying batteries.
- ♥ 4 LEDs Total & 4 Level Brightness. 2 Leds Each Arm, 1 Spotlight and 1 Wide Angle LED each side. 1st Click is Wide angle Light, 2nd Click is Spotlight, 3rd Click is Spot&Wide light, 4th Click off. Functions are the same for each arm.
- ♥ Flexible Arms. Steel alloy arms are flexible and strong. Arms are covered with soft Silicone, nontoxic, safe to use, and high-grade.
- ♥ Lightweight, Compact, Portable & Durable. With only 3-ounce weight, the bendable book light doesn't require much space and can fit easily into your carry-on suitcase, making it an ideal choice from all aspects.
- ♥ Worry-free 18-month warranty and friendly customer service.
I'm personally not a fan of these types of lights where they hang off your body like this. I like to shift around while reading in bed, and I found that every time I do this, I have to re-adjust my lights so that they are in place. This made me a bit self conscientious about how I read and position myself - which isn't enjoyable.
However, with that said, I know there are many readers that dislike the ones that clip-on their books, thus adding weight. I get that. So, I decided to test a bunch of hands free versions out there and decided these were the best bang for your buck.
5. Mystery Dual Clip-On (Best Dual Book Light)
The Mystery Duel head is a great clip-on book reading light that works best for those who want individual lights to highlight each page. I get that. It can be frustrating when the edges of the light don't reach the entire page, and I catch myself straining my eyes as I get to the edge of a page. If this is important to you, then look no further than the Mystery. It's light weight and provide ample enough light with the two heads. It also has the longest lasting battery life of them all.
However, I still believe top two choices for best reading light provide enough light to catch all pages without having to hassle with two light heads. Also, it doesn't have any replacement guarantees. Although, I didn't experience anything that worried me about its durability. The parts didn't feel very cheap compared to others, and I didn't see anything in the reviews that people experienced any unnecessary issues with its durability as well.
6. TopElek Reading Light (Easiest on the Eyes)
- 【UPGRADED 7 LED & CUSTOMIZED ILLUMINATION】 Equipped with 7 upgraded LED to deliver more uniform luminance than normal LED. Featuring 3 color temperatures(3000K to 6500K) and 3 brightness settings(Low,Medium,High ), short press to control brightness, long press to switch color temperature. Easy to operate, satisfying your different light demands in daily life
- 【LONGER RUNNING TIME & POWER INDICATOR】- Built in rechargeable 1000mAh lithium battery brings up to 60-hour lighting time(at low brightness setting) with only 1.5 hours quickly recharging, enabling you to enjoy longer wireless reading time. With battery indicator, it is convenient to know the remaining power real time and the charging status to avoid over charging
- 【EYE-PROTECTION LED SOURCE】 No flicker, no shadow, no dizzy light. LED lamps provide more stable and comfortable light than common incandescent lamps, protecting your eyes from shining hurt and radiation. Soft light also makes it possible for you to read in bed at night without disturbing your partner
- 【360° FLEXIBLE GOOSE NECK】The goose neck is flexible and you can put the light on right position exactly where you want, ideal assistant for computer, reading, sewing, making up.Silicone surface protects pages being clamped and the adjustable clip ensure secure grip
- 【LIGHTWEIGHT & PORTABLE DESIGN】This new book light is only 2.3 oz, lightweight enough to clip on books for your nighttime reading in bed. Foldable goose neck make it convenient for you to take around while travel
Having 9 different reading modes to use, the TopElek gets my best rating for being the easiest on the eyes. You can change the color temperatures, and brightness levels in order to get the light to the most optimal level for your eyes. With the easiness on the eyes and 1.5 year guarantee, why isn't it the #1 choice for best reading light?
I found the 7 LED lights underwhelming. There were times I wish it had the extra 3 LEDs that the top reading light has. I also wasn't impressed with its weight compared to the others. Although it compares to my number #1 choice, I'd of expected the TopElek to pack enough punch. But alas, it didn't.
7. Energizer Clip Light (Cheapest Book Light)
- ✅ COMPACT & PORTABLE: Handy, compact, portable Book Light runs on 2 Energizer CR2032 Batteries (included). You'll have long-lasting reading time, and can take this compact book light anywhere with you. Handy to have in power outages!
- ✅ ADVANCED LED TECHNOLOGY: Re-creates natural reading conditions with advanced LED technology. This type of light provides plenty of visibility for reading, but is still easy on the eyes.
- ✅ FLEXIBLE NECK & BUILT-IN CLIP: Compact design with flexible and collapsible neck and built-in clip make a perfect travel or camping companion or copilot. Over-sized spring clip easily attaches to books, Kindles, clipboards, visors, etc
- ✅ OPTIMAL BEAM SIZE: Delivers a beam broad enough to see, yet narrow enough for privacy. Great for reading your book or kindle on planes, in cars, or in a tent on a camping trip.
- ✅ LONG-LASTING RUN TIME: Has a run-time of up to 25 hours, perfect for those books you just can’t put down. The long-lasting power makes this light a go-to when you want to dive into a good book, even during a long power outage.
Although the Energizer Clip book light is the lightest and cheapest of the lights, it's light lacks in intensity, and does not have a replaceable battery. The CR2032 are not a commonly owned battery and it only lasts 25 hours. I found that this was very problematic and would cause issues for future long term use.
What to Look for in a Book Reading Light
If you'd like to learn more about book reading lights, be sure to check out these characteristics:
Rechargeable Book Light vs Replacement Batteries
Are you the type that prefers rechargeable abilities vs batteries? For readers who do heavy reading at night, replacement battery costs may begin to grow expensive. If that’s the case, you should consider a rechargeable book light. Check for a model similar to this Mighty Brite.