Ugh. Finding the best reading chairs can be a huge pain in the butt.
The whole situation reminds me of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. One’s too hard. Another too soft. Where’s my Just Right?
And here’s the thing…. While this might seem like a trivial problem, you’ll understand exactly what I’m saying when you start looking for one. If you’re a voracious reader like I am, you’re going to spend a large amount of time with your bohonkus planted inside it. And that means, you need comfort.
However, in order to help out, I’ve compiled a list of top notch reading chairs that you can nestle your booty down into and curl up with your next read.
Now, just a heads-up… Ya girl is going to be putting some affiliate links into this article. If you decide that one of the selections is right for you, feel free to use my links. They won’t cost you a single penny more. They just help keep my new socks on my feet and my idiot cat’s food bowl filled. Thanks!
What is the best reading chair? Here’s my top 10 list:
- Mid Century Lounge Chair with Ottoman
- Christopher Knight Home Filmore Armchair
- Irene House Power Recliner
- Rattan Wicker Swiveling Papasan Rocker
- Chill Sack Bean Bag Chair
- Komorebi Hammock Chair
- American Eagle Furniture Leather Armchair
- DAZONE Accent Chair
- Amazon Basics Swivel Foam Lounge Chair
- Homall Recliner Chair
Comfy reading chairs comparison chart (top 10 highest rated)
If all you want is a brief list of all my comfy reading chairs, then look no further!
What are the different types of reading chairs?
There are a wide variety of book reading chairs, and what you get will depend on your needs. For example, you can find all of the following on this list:
- Louge chairs
- Chairs with an Ottoman
- Recliner Chairs
- Retro-style chairs
- Outdoor chairs
- Bean bag chairs
- Papasan chairs
- Chairs for people with special needs
- Lounge chairs
Most comfortable reading chair reviews
No products found.
If you’re looking for a top-of-the-line reading chair with ottoman, then this is it. Seriously, it’s so nice. It has a leather covered seating surface filled with high quality furniture sponge for maximum comfort, also making it the best leather reading chair. And while it doesn’t fully recline, it has a natural 15 degree tilt and over-sized armrests that more than make up for a lack of reclining. To be honest, I find myself reading better and more comfortably in an actually chair vice a recliner. If my clumsy self reclines or reads in bed, I’ll actually count the number of times I drop my book on my face. Plus, non-reclining chairs are so much easier to clean. This reading lounge chair can support up to 330 pounds as well fitting most needs as the most comfortable chair for reading. Not to mention…It looks super nice and would make a great addition to any home.
- Leather covered
- Super comfortable
- The perfect angle for reading
- Supports up to 330 pounds
- Doesn’t fully recline
- If you are looking for a great Way to spruce up your living room, then look no further...
- Includes: one (1) Arm chair
- Materials: fabric | Leg material: Birch
- Color: Light Beige
- Dimensions: 26.18 inches deep x 29.72 inches wide x 33.27 inches high
Next up on our list of best reading chairs is the Christopher Knight Home Filmore. Like the previous reading chair, this one does not recline so if you’re looking for a recliner… head to our next selection. Either way, this reading armchair just screams elegance–or politely infers it. This small reading chair adds a touch of class to any room and definitely will be a talking piece. But it doesn’t just look pretty, it’s one of the comfy reading chairs for small spaces due to its compact size and build. It’s built upon a sturdy natural wood base with a breathable polyester blend covering. There is a bit of assembly involved, but there haven’t any complaints doing so.
- Classy look
- Does not recline
- Some assembly required
- 【DUAL OKIN MOTORS】Different from traditional one, Irene House lift chair is powered by...
- 【INFINITE POSITION】The backrest can be operated from 105°to 180°, and the footrest...
- 【COMFORTABLE UPHOLSTERY &STURDY CONSTRUCTION】All wood boards used in our products are...
- 【HUMANISTIC DESIGN LIFTING CHAIR】Comes with a lumbar pillow, which can support the...
- 【CUSTOMER SERVICE&WARRAMTY】Electronic components(motor/transformer/hand controller):1...
Now we come to my favorite recliner–and only one on our list of best reading chairs–the Irene House Power Recliner. And truth be told, this list doesn’t need another recliner (although I do have one more that is cheaper) because this thing does it all. As far as reclining capabilities go, the Irene House can be laid back to a fully horizontal position. So if after all that reading you need a nap…done. Just make sure to set your book inside one the chairs handy side pockets that way it doesn’t slip through the cracks. But what really makes this comfy leather recliner special is its power motor. It actually leans forward to help those with special needs in and out of the chair accomodating up to 300 pounds. This makes it great for the elderly or those with injuries, and is most definitely the best reclining reading chair for those with special needs.
- Fully horizontal reclining
- Side pockets for your books
- Leans forward for those with special needs
- Super expensive
- Color: Colonial (Light Brown)
- Color: Colonial (Light Brown)
- Handmade & Design
- Swivels and Rocks
- Strong & Light
Ok. I’m going to go on record to say this. Everyone loves a big ole Papasan chair–even if you think you don’t or never sat in one, you do. With that out of the way, let’s just talk about how awesome this round reading chair is. This Rattan Wicker chair is made up of extra sturdy rattan weaving. So while this chair is super lightweight (comparatively), it’s also very strong. And…this thing swivels and rocks as well. The biggest gripe I have about this chair is that it’s pretty pricey as far as Papasans go. But it is 100% worth the cost. A dear friend of mine has one at her house, but she knows when I’m there…it’s mine. Thank you Connie.
- Sturdy weaving
- Swivels and rocks
- Pricey for a Papasan
- Fun for everyone: A great size for both kids and adults, this comfy Bean bag is the...
- Oversized sack: 60 x 60 x 34 inches - Collapse into a seat that loves you back and forms...
- Breathable and comfortable it is also very moisture resistant
- Shredded memory foam: Chill sack Bean bag chairs are stuffed with a shredded, soft, memory...
- Comfy Furniture Cover: the removable double stitched micro-suede fiber is soft to the...
Growing up in the late 80s and early 90s, I essentially lived my life in bean bag chairs. Not one like this though, which is an excellent reading chair for teenagers. Where I had some of those Styrofoam bead-filled ones from Wally World, this unit is pure luxury compared. These are actually filled with shredded memory foam! Like really? That’s amazing because whenever I used to get up from my bean bag chairs, you’d see my marvelous butt outline molded in tie-dye glory. And then you had to shake it around to get the shape back…But with the Chill Sack, no need for that. And unlike other beanbags that have that scratchy outer liner, the Chill Sack comes with a machine washable micro-suede fiber case. Not only that but they come in many different sizes and twice as many colors. Gift one of these to yourself or as a reading chair for students in your life.
- High quality bean bag (not the styrofoam beads…yuck)
- Super comfortable
- Many sizes and color options
- Takes up a lot of space
- Kind of expensive for a beanbag chair (but worth it)
- SOFT BREATHABLE FABRIC – Beautiful boho inspired macrame hanging hammock swing chair....
- BUILT-IN SIDE POCKET - Books take us to another world. A hanging swing chair is the best...
- LARGE CUSHIONS INCLUDED - Supplied with two extra large cushions for extra comfort and...
- STRONG & DURABLE - Due to it’s heavy duty polyester/cotton canvas fabric with weight...
- EASY TO INSTALL INDOORS OR OUTDOORS – This functional hanging chairs for bedrooms works...
One of the joys I currently don’t have is being able to read outdoors in like a garden or something. The best I can do is close the green curtains of my apartment windows and pretend. But I do get to experience this pleasure when I go out of town to visit my grandmother. She lives out in the middle of nowhere with an old school hammock set up. And I just love it! But there’s no way I can get any reading done because I’m fully laid back. I just drift off to sleep. However, this Komorebi Hammock Chair solves that problem. You get the joy of swinging in a comfortable hammock and the support you need to get your read on.
And this isn’t just for the outdoors, you can easily set this up as a comfortable reading chair for the bedroom. It works both indoors and out!
- Gives you the outdoor experience
- Comes with pockets
- Can be hard to get comfortable at first
- Have a Luxuriously Comfortable Seat with the Highland Collection Upholstered Chair by...
- Upholstered Chair Measures 50" L Inch x 37" W Inch x 37" H Inch and Weighs 75 lbs. Arrives...
- Made From Durable Bonded Leather, PVC Match, and Durable Wood Frame
- Features a Streamlined Silhouette with Gleaming Steel Legs and Pillow Top Armrests For...
- Made And Manufactured By American Eagle Furniture, Providing Innovative Furniture Designs,...
But what if a bean bag chair or hammock just isn’t your style? If you’re into the ultra modern looks, this American Eagle Furniture armchair may be the chair you’re looking for. And this isn’t just super trendy-looking, it’s comfortable. It’s got these awesome over-sized armrests and an adjustable headrest so it can meet everyone’s needs. This modern reading chair is sturdily built and comes in a selection of two color palettes. So if you’re in the market for something modern and unique, consider this as one of your options.
- Super stylish design
- Adjustable headrest
- Large footprint
- Comfortable Stylish Barrel Chair with Ottoman: DAZONE modern comfy accent chair with tub...
- Sturdy Club Chair with Ottoman: This DAZONE grey side chair for living room make of solid...
- Upholstered accent chair for bedroom: Ergonomically designed soft armrest, removable...
- Easy to Install Living Room Chair: It is esy to set up this comfy corner chair within...
- Size & Load Capacity of this Grey Accent Armchair: 27"*25.5"*28.5"H and...
Okay, I will admit, I love these barrel-style accent chairs. I see them and I just have to sit down and experience that feeling of being hugged by a chair. And this one is not only that, but it’s super affordable as well! In fact, this would be my number one recommendation if you have a low budget and are just looking for something simple, comfortable, and stylish (in a minimalist way). My first reading chair was something similar to this, and I still kind of miss it.
- Really affordable
- Minimalist design
- Super comfortable
- Requires assembly
- Can be a bit small for larger people
- Adjustable, swiveling floor lounge chair with metal frame for gaming, reading, watching...
- Memory foam construction provides ultimate comfort and support
- Multiple adjustable positions; sized for small adults, kids, or teenagers
- Folds down for easy storage
- Comes full assembled
So I had a chair like these in college…before I broke it. Don’t judge, I had a few too many potato chips back in those days. Anyway, I love a good lounge chair because it lets you get right up to the TV, or sit next to the sofa close to the ground. It’s a chair that is meant to be moved around so you can use it anywhere. That’s its biggest strength. My only complaint is that it could use a larger headrest, but other than that it is incredibly comfortable.
- Short headrest
- Material: High quality pu leather, comfortable skin friendly and easily cleaned, high...
- Adjustable Recliner: This recliner can be used as three kinds of shape from 90 to 180...
- Upgraded Footrest: Highly durable steel frame with thicker foam padding, better to enjoy...
- Maximum Capacity: 265 lbs; Seat height: 17.7 inch; Seat dimensions:19.7 inch x 22.1 inch;...
- Foot protection: This single recliner is supported by four sturdy feet with non marking...
Okay so I had a recliner option above, but that one was extremely expensive, and I can see how some people might not need all the bells and whistles that that one provided. So instead, I present to you the Homall Recliner Chair, which is extremely comfortable, especially when reclined, and boasts a stylish, minimalist design. Which, of course, I love. The best part is this price, you’d be surprised at the sturdy construction that you’ll find with this product, given how cheap it is. But it really is a solid construction. I recommend it to anyone who wants a simple reading recliner. My only warning is that the reclining can go straight back, and if you’re not careful, you could fall over backwards.
- Minimalist design
- Solid construction
- Super durable
- Can actually recline too much
Best Reading Chairs Buyer’s Guide–Everything You Should Consider
There are number of factors you should consider when choosing the best reading chair for your home. As much as I want to say just buy the most comfortable one…. That would be terrible advice.
Because buying a chair is more than just buying comfort. You’re literally investing money into your entire home!
That being said, let’s go over some key attributes to consider when buying a reading chair.
Size of the Reading Chair
Sorry guys, size matters. When it comes to your reading chair, of course.
You need to know just much space you can/need to afford for your chair. Me, in my apartment, can’t go off and grab the largest most comfy chair I can find. I have limited space restrictions. I still need to put a sweet lamp and reading light in among other things. But sometimes t might be best to go a little bigger. If you have a large living room with some tiny little chair in the corner…it may be mistaken for the dunce corner and not a reading nook.
Materials and Construction
This is critical. If you buy cheap, chances are you’ll get cheaper materials. Not to say that’s a bad thing. Sometimes you don’t need a super awesome chair. But let’s just say you need to make consideration for a larger weight capacity. I just don’t think a thin aluminum frame is going to hold 300 pounds. At that point you’ll want to consider a sturdy hardwood design.
But it’s not just the frame composition you need to be aware of. It’s the reading chair material covering. Are you opting for leather? Or cloth? Or a polyester blend? While cloth may be cheaper, it is more prone to staining, rips, and burns. Polyester has a nice balance to it; however, a bad poly blend can make the chair not very breathable. And leather, while pretty tough to stain and a much longer chair life, is much more expensive and requires special maintenance.
There are other materials out there so be sure to consider your options.
Ideal Reading Chair Style Considerations
Here’s the thing…if you’re looking at a potential reading chair and saying, “Nah…that ain’t my style”, don’t buy the chair.
No matter how comfy it may be, you’re not going to be able to appreciate it as much. You might actually decide it was a giant waste of money. Try and find a chair that blends well with your current style. Or a style you’re currently building into. And if you’re into Feng Shui… you better do some research. It would be a shame for you to get one chair just to sell it later to find another.
Reclining or Non
This is another personal preference you need to look at. My best reading chair would not be a reclining chair. But…. That’s just me. If you want a recliner, more power to you!
Reclining options can be nice. They give you so much more mobility and even snoozing options–always good to snooze. But I’m not a fan because they are more difficult to clean, I’m always dropping my keys or phone down those little cracks, and they tend to be a bit heavier to move around.
Last, but not least… comfort. If a chair hurts your back or is otherwise not fun to sit in–DON’T GET IT. That simple.
How to choose the best reading armchair
There are actually plenty of experts out there that can help you pick out the best reading chairs for your home. Take a look at this video from Cityline:
What is the best chair for reading books? The bottom line
Choosing the best reading chair for you doesn’t have to be a difficult process. All you need is to arm yourself with a little info on each potential candidate and with a set point of view on what you’re looking for. Now, you’re going to have to excuse me… My e-reader and chair are calling me. Until next time…
FAQs on the best reading chairs
What type of chair is most comfortable for reading?
I personally prefer a Lounge Reading Chair with an Ottoman as the most comfortable chair when reading. It gives you just enough recline to work for reading, and allows you to put your feet up. That said, there are many types of reading chairs, all of which can be comfortable.
Is the Eames chair good for reading?
Yes, the Eames chair is good for reading. I even recommend something similar in my list of the best reading chairs (see my number one pick above). It’s good for letting you put your feet up, while not being as reclined as a bed. Perfect for reading a good book.
What is the most comfortable chair in the world?
That depends on your preference. Some people prefer a really soft cushion, and some people like something more firm. It also depends on ergonomic status and what other things you prioritize as the most comfortable. Personally, I love the Lounge Reading Chair with an Ottoman on this list.