Only serious readers will understand the struggle of trying to hold a book in one hand without it constantly closing on you.
As a frequent reader, you may alternate between book holding and sitting positions to keep your arms from getting tired. Many readers hold a book with one hand so they can have the other hand free for munching on snacks, sipping on beverages, or taking notes while they get lost in a book.
Readers with medical conditions such as Parkinson’s disease, arthritis, or muscular dystrophy find it especially hard to read their favorite books without constantly losing their place when the book accidentally snaps closed.
If you find it difficult to keep your book open with one hand or even in general then you are in the right place because we are going to share some of the best products for overcoming this annoying problem for good.
The Best Products to Get For Holding a Book in One Hand
There are quite a few handy gadgets you can buy to help you keep that book open while you read or attempt to multitask. But not all products and inventions are quite as functional as they may seem. Spending a fortune on a fancy book holder won’t help much if you never end up using the device.
Sometimes the simplest products can offer you the most convenience.
Here is a quick look at some of the best products to buy that are both affordable and simple to use.
- Click the "Visit the BookBone Store" link right below the title of this listing to see all...
- The Original Weighted Rubber Bookmark won't slide off even when book is tilted. BookBones...
- BookBone is a U.S. Registered Trademark.
- More than 120,000 sold Worldwide including more than 15,000 sold right here on Amazon!
- Available Unprinted or Printed With your choice from a selection of more than 40 versions...
This rubber paperweight is ideal for readers who want to keep the bookpage holder inside the book so they can simply snatch it up and go.
The page holder is basically a weighted bookmark. When you flip it horizontally over the pages, it will weigh down the pages and keep your book open. It is nice and flexible, and it can also be used as a paperweight to keep your book open when you put it down.
This bookmark is available in a variety of colors, is compatible with all book types, and it is perfect for use at home or on the go.
- Weight – 6oz
- Size – 7.8 x 1.75 x 0.69”
- Colors – Blue, black, green, light blue, light green, orange, pink, purple, red, white and yellow
- Materials – Rubber
- Function – Weighs down pages so book stays open and acts as jar opener
- Affordable price
- You can turn the page with one hand
- It is a very popular product and many users absolutely love it
- There are lots of colors to choose from
- Very small and portable
- It can slide off the page when you move
- It might not be heavy enough for some books
- The weight can get in the way of your reading
- It adds more weight on your wrist
- Keep the pages in your favorite book held wide open with one hand.
- Standing, sitting or lying down, and you still have a free hand for that wine glass.
- The warm smooth texture of American Walnut compliments the feel of any book, a perfect...
- The PagePal comes in two sizes: Regular or Large (or what we like to call "meaty").
- Handcrafted from the finest domestic walnut in the USA by the artisans at Missing Digit...
Novel readers tend to prefer the PagePal Thumb page holder because this device allows you to easily flip over pages.
The page holder fits over your thumb and by adding pressure onto your thumb, you can hold the book and keep the pages open.
It has a simple yet beautiful overall look and many book lovers adore the timber design. The book page holder is also compatible with all book types and it is available in two different colors.
- Weight – 0.32oz
- Size – 4 x 1 x 1”
- Materials – Walnut wood
- Color – Wood grain
- Sizes – Regular and large
- Function – Thumb hole allows you to keep book open with one hand
- The product is quite affordable
- The natural wood look suits book lovers perfectly
- It is nice and portable so you can take it anywhere
- Keeps your book open
- Easy page turning since the holder lifts with your thumb
- Available in two different sizes
- The holder is nice and light
- After a while your hand can start to cramp
- It won’t keep your book open if you put it down
- Brand: Grover/Trophy
- Manufacturer Part: 475
- Sturdy wood base with flexible, clear plastic top
- Dimension: 11.88x9.4x2.59 inches
- Nickel plated spring provides strong holding action under any circumstance
This clip is perfect for keeping your book pages from flipping back on windy days. The clip simply slides over your pages so you can easily pin them down.
It is compatible with all book types since the clip can be slid inside the book instead of over the book cover. It also has a clear top so you can continue reading without having to move the book clip.
This clip is light, and it can be used as a bookmark.
- Weight – 1.28oz
- Size – 11.88 x 9.4 x 2.59”
- Materials – Wood and clear plastic
- Color – Light wood
- Function – Clip book pages to keep them open
- An affordable product
- Portable and easy to use
- The clear top clip allows you to read through the clip
- Perfect for music books and novels
- Very light and won’t add more strain on your wrists
- Your place will be saved even if you put the book down
- Turning the page is a bit annoying since you need to re-clip every time
- It will keep your place but won’t keep your book from closing
- FlipKlip book holder is made of sturdy molded plastic construction, riveted assembly,...
- Hands-Free Reading keeps your hand from cramping and it’s also great for when you’re...
- Portable and goes wherever your book goes: The FlipKlip is only 5.5 inches long, so it’s...
- Innovative design makes turning pages effortless: The gentle clamping action and soft...
- Works on paperbacks, hardcovers, magazines, comic books, coloring books, art books, piano...
This book page holder is perfect for cookbooks and novel readers. The book clip is compatible with most book types, and it will keep your book open whether it is held in one hand or laid flat on the table.
It is very easy to use and once it’s snapped in place, your book is secure even in windy conditions.
The clip is also nice and portable, since you can clip it on the side of the book while you are not reading, and it can go with your book anywhere you take it.
- Weight – 0.48 oz
- Size – 5.5 x 1.5 x 1”
- Materials – Stainless steel and plastic
- Color – Blue
- Qty – 1, 2 or 3 pack
- Function – Keeps your book open
- The product is quite affordable
- Made of quality materials
- Suitable for most book sizes including thick novels
- Portable and compact
- Easy page turning
- Book stays open while holding it with one hand or put it down
- Perfect for all types of books
- Can be placed outside your book as space keeper or for easy storage
- Pages can tear if you are not careful when turning your pages
- Holds books and magazines upright and open to read while you eat, cook, type, study, work,...
- Only Small, lightweight and Portable design small enough to fit in a purse!
- Works on paper, hardcover books and magazines. Great for cookbooks while cooking too!
- Durable long life chrome metal design. Made in USA. Also can use as a bookmark when...
- Easy to use. Just slide in top of book behind segment of pages being read (inside cover,...
This book clip is a top pick for music books and chefs who need to keep their books wide open. The clip is made of durable metal; it is nice and light. It will keep your book open even in windy conditions and it can also act as a handy bookmark when you close the book.
Your book will also stay wide open even when you prop it on a stand or lay it flat on a surface. The only downside to this book clip is that it is going to be slightly annoying to turn the pages over since you do need to slide the clip out before you can flip pages.
- Weight – 0.7oz
- Size – 1 x 3 x 4”
- Materials – Durable chrome metal
- Colors – Chrome, black and pink
- Function – Keeps a book open
- The clip is very durable
- It is small and portable so you can take it along on journey with ease
- Suitable to keep most books and magazine open
- The book stays open when holding it with one hand or putting it down
- It is nice and light
- Pages are not easy to turn
- Better for cook books than novels
- It might not work so well on thicker books
- Supports books, catalogs, planners and more at comfortable reading angle
- Folds flat for easy storage
- Rubber end caps protect surfaces and pages
- Contemporary wire design
This wire stand is ideal for book lovers who also enjoy reading on electronic devices or who love to put down their books so they can rest their hands for a bit.
The book stays open when resting in the stand, but you can also easily pick up your book and hold it in one hand while reading. The stand will also keep your book open when you do put it down. The only downside is that you could tear your book pages if you are not careful when flipping pages.
- Weight – 0.16oz
- Size – 9.5 x 5.5 x 6”
- Color – Chrome
- Material – Steel
- Function – Holds books, tablets, and other devices and keeps book open
- The stand is easy to use
- It is perfect for books and other products like kindle, e-readers, tablets and more
- It can fold flat for easy storage
- It is nice and light
- You can easily pick up your book with one hand for reading
- Pages are relatively easy to turn
- You can put down your book in stand position
- Pages may tear when turning them if you are not careful
- The stands can get in your way when you carry or hold the book
- It might be too slim for thick novels
With so many great book holders to choose from, it can be tough to choose one that suits your reading style and needs. Luckily we have this little guide to help you decide on the best one based on your need.
The Fellowes wire stand is the best book holder if you want something that allows you to carry your book in one hand or put it down in a standing position for easy reading. This little reader is quite affordable, simple to use, and it is very light.
Best For Cookbooks
If you want to keep a cookbook open then you should consider the Book Magic Book Clip. This clip is ideal for keeping cookbooks open while you move about the kitchen. This clip however is not ideal for novel readers because it can be hard to turn the pages.
Best For Easy Paging
If you love a book holder that allows you to easily turn the pages then the Missing Digit Woodshop PagePal holder is ideal. This holder slides over your thumb. While holding the book, your pages will stay open and when you lift your thumb, the holder lifts with your thumb so you can easily flip your pages.
Best For Outdoor Reading
If you want a book holder that is going to keep your book pages open when you are outdoors in the wind, then you should consider the Grover/Trophy clip or the FlipKlip book page holder. These are both great for keeping your book pages open and will keep the wind from turning your pages.
Best Bookmark Page Holder
If you prefer a more traditional holder that can act as a bookmark, then the BookBone is a good pick.
This rubber weight will keep your pages wide open so you can hold the book in one hand. Many readers can also flip the pages using one hand. The only downside to this weight is that it can slide off the book when you are moving about.
Best for Travelers
Travelers who need something portable and easy to use can consider the BookBone bookmark, Grover/Trophy clip, or the FlipKlip page holder. These are all light and portable. The real reason they are ideal for traveling is that you can store them inside your book, so they can keep your place while you travel and you can use them to keep your book open.
A page holder doesn’t help you much if it isn’t with your book. The best book page holder to buy is one that you will actually use.
Another good alternative is, of course, to switch over to ebooks that you can read on a tab or e-reader.
These are very easy to navigate and books are generally more affordable. With these devices, you do have thousands of books available at your fingertips at any given moment.
We do hope that these reviews and tips will help you find the best book page holder, and if you are looking for other great bookworm products and purchases, then we invite you to check out some of the other articles we have on our website!