There are many things in this world that are underrated. The smell of freshly mown grass. Great home cooked meal. T. Rex (The 70s band, not the dinosaur– he’s still pretty BA too though). But what about in the world of reading and writing?
The unsung heroes of our realm are Book Stands. These handy devices are much more critical than many give them credit for. They allow for great hands-free operation for those with tired arms or dirty fingers. Some are even doing their part to help alleviate some of the challenges experienced by those with special needs.
So without wasting any more time… let’s bang a gong, get it on, and discuss the 10 best book stands of 2019.
The Best Book Stands and Holders
Top Ten Book Stand Reviews
#1. Uncaged Ergonomics Book Stand (Best Overall)
- ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT: Raise reading materials to eye-level and stop slouching | Height Range: 0-21"
- ADJUSTABLE ANGLE: decrease page & screen glare. Eliminate eye strain. Panel locks in 15-degree increments
- OPEN SPACE BOTTOM: Helps de-clutter & organize desk space. Perfect place for taking notes!
- LIGHTWEIGHT: All aluminum | sturdy, durable, and portable | Collapses Flat
- PERFECT for studying, reading textbooks, cookbooks | Slips over your lap in bed to make reading more comfortable | Securely holds the largest, heaviest textbooks
Out of all of our options, the Uncaged Ergonomics stand came out on top. This stand can do it all. Whether it’s reading in bed or cooking in the kitchen, the Uncaged Ergonomics reigns supreme for all your book stand needs. Let’s take a look at why.
Adjustable Height and Angle
Open Space Bottom
Made out of Lightweight Aluminum
2. LEVO Hands-Free Stand (Best for Bedtime Reading)
- LEVO book holders float books in front of your line of vision while you sit, recline, or lay.
- You might like to add the LEVO Clip-on LED Light, or our eBook and Tablet Platform Kit.
- Patented cantilever design swings out over your furniture. No need for clearance under furniture.
- Adjustable height, swing, tilt, spin, fold, and roll perfectly position your book.
- We're dedicated to perfecting your reading time. That's why we now include a Limited LIFETIME WARRANTY
When it comes to bedtime reading, the LEVO Hands-Free Book Stand really shines through. This makes reading in bed a much easier experience. Let’s take a look at some of the features that enable this book stand.
Fully Adjustable Design
Cantilever Swing Arm
Sturdy Wheeled Base
3. ScanJig Pro Plus (Best for Special Needs)
- WORK FROM HOME ACCESSORY – Scan documents, then email, copy, fax or upload to the cloud. The ScanJig portable scanning stand holds your phone or tablet in the correct position for fast, precisely aligned scans of documents, checks, books and photos.
- NO NEED TO STAND OVER THE DOCUMENT – AVOID SHADOWS & GLARE - Work from a comfortable seated position with full access to your tablet or phone’s touch screen. The scanning stand’s patented angled design helps capture more room light, avoid shadows and reduce glare. Your camera flash is not required.
- TABLET SUPPORT - Molded plastic parts provide firm support for tablets and phones. The ScanJig Pro model includes an extended shelf to better support larger tablets (e.g., iPad Pro 12.9 inch)
- ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY – Helps the Blind, Visually Impaired, those with Fine Motor Difficulties and Tremors. This second generation scanning stand is designed to provide easy tactile and guided positioning of both your mobile device and document. You get correct alignment and field of view on the first scan.
- IMPROVE APP PERFORMANCE - Just open the ScanJig, place your device, and start scanning in seconds. With built-in guides you can quickly scan up to 10 pages per minute. The kit includes a flat black matt sheet for automatic border detection when scanning photos or business cards. Also, paper stays hold folded receipts and letters flat while scanning.
Sometimes, life throws you curveballs. But, that doesn’t mean we still shouldn’t swing for the fences. For those who need that extra boost, this is the perfect book stand. The ScanJig Pro Plus is much more than an ordinary book stand. It can be a real game changer for those with special needs.
4. Reodoeer Reading Rest (Best for Messy Areas)
- Made of metal plate and plastic base
- Stable, rugged & light weight
- Adjusted to 7 angle settings
- Conveniently folds down flat when not in use
- Allow very thick book
Ever need a reading stand in a messy area? Maybe you’re baking cupcakes and need a helping hand to hold that recipe? Or perhaps, you’re in your auto shop flipping through user manuals and repair guides? You need a sturdy book stand to handle it and one that can be cleaned afterward. The Reodoeer is just the stand for you.
Heavy Duty Holding
5. Luxury Bamboo Bathtub Caddy (Best for Bathtime)
- HAND MADE & Hand-crafted with delicate precision. Made with high quality bamboo material. Brush with the a deep walnut color finish for added luxury appeal.
- MULTI-FUNCTION: Our bathtub caddy is design to be the one-stop accessibility and usability for all bathtub relaxing activities! It come with a wine glass holder, candle placement, phone holder/stand, wooden backboard for books and ipads/tablets, also has a built-in stand to take from bath to bed or anywhere in the house, and 2 additional trays for extra space!
- WATERPROOF AND FREE KONJAC SPONGE: We glossed our caddies with waterproof sealant for maximum protection against water damage and prevent growth mold/mildew. As a SPECIAL BONUS we've also added a FREE all natural konjac sponge added bathroom experience.
- GIFT GIFT GIFT: This is a perfect gift option for your love one, mother, grandmother, girlfriend, wife, husband or anyone that takes unnecessary long baths. With a dimly ambient setting, candles lit, fragrant aromas floating about this caddy will make bathing a whole new way of luxury relaxation.
- MONEY BACK GUARANTEE: We uphold greatest responsibility to get this wonderful product to you in one piece which is why we added styrofoam packaging to cushion the long deliveries. If any case it doesn't meet your standards or expectations or comes with chip, scratches, or any defects don't hesitate to return and receive full refund. Please contact company for refund issues.
What’s better than a nice glass of wine, a scented candle, and a good book? Doing all this in the bath of course! And now you can with the PSRVR Luxury Bathtub Caddy. Keep your book safe from the bubbles with this bamboo book caddy.
One Size Fits All
6. SmartMe Portable Stand (Best for Travel)
- 👏【TRENDY ITEM FOR INTELLECTUALS】 : Portable it means you could reading your fancy book no matter where you are!
- 👏【FUN DESIGN】 : Use of spring can enable installation in an instant. 1.Hold the body 2.Pull out the head 3.Both wings spread left and right
- 👏【SPIDER BOOK STAND】 : Newly improved 4-point mounting system. Combines book and book stand with upper/lower fasteners, Spider Book Stand that becomes one with the body. One can read comfortably sitting or lying down.
- 👏【TRAVEL READING】 : SmartMe Portable Book Holder enables you to carry anywhere in the world. MAKE YOUR READING GREAT AGAIN!
- 👏【MATERIALS】 : Made from strong but light-weight ABS material with excellent durability and elasticity
Reading is one of the most popular options to do on long flights because let’s face it… those in-flight movies are never really that good. But a big problem with reading on an airplane is the space. You are in a very cramped area with no room to stretch (particularly in coach). Save your arms from awkward cramps and soreness with this book stand. The [SmartMe] portable book stand is perfect for these types of situations.
Lightweight and Durable
Stable 4 Point Support
7. A+ Children's Book Stand (Best for Kids)
- The only CHILDREN’S BOOK STAND on the market - CBS200 is the only book stand on the market designed specifically for children of all ages. It’s easy and safe to use featuring rounded and smooth edges, composed of safe materials and has no small hazardous parts.
- PERFECT GIFT to PROMOTE READING SKILLS - Can be used for reading, as an easel for drawing and painting projects, as homework assignment holder, for propping up textbooks, for watching videos on iPad. LIGTHWEIGHT and PORTABLE easily fits in a backpack.
- ERGONOMICALLY DESIGNED - With 15 adjustable positions, you can fine tune reading angle to your child’s needs. This way you will be promoting proper reading posture and preventing eye strain and neck fatigue and pain.
- EASY TO SETUP AND USE - NOTHING TO ASSEMBLE - Features foldable front tray with page holders and a multi position back side support. Even the youngest child can learn how to set it up in no time and use it just about anywhere: at home, in a park, in a car, or in a classroom.
- CERTIFIED SAFE FOR CHILDREN - All our kids book stands have been tested in CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) accredited laboratory and certified to comply with applicable children’s product safety rules. Duboco LLC holds CPC (Children’s Product Certificate) for all our children’s products.
Do your kids love to read? Or do they need a little encouraging? Perhaps a book stand of their very own is just what they need! The A+ Children’s book stand is great for those little bookworms in training.
Easy to Setup and Learn
8. Standing Lectern (Best for Presenting)
Are you part of a book club that reads aloud? Or, do you have a presentation you need to give? Most people don’t give enough credit to the lectern. These large, but versatile book stands are ideal for reading aloud in front of groups. There’s already the pressure of an audience. You don’t need that pressure being transferred to tired arms as well.
Beautiful and Simple Design
9. HENGSHENG Bamboo Stand (Best Functional Decor)
- Made of high quality bamboo, stable and sturdy
- Adjustable to five different angle,conveniently set the angle for keeping the correct posture so that the spine is healthy
- Multi-function bamboo bookstand, ideal for support different size and style books, Tablet, Painting Books,Cookbook, Sheet Music,Textbook, Tablature, Catalogs, etc
- Conveniently folding down flat when not in use,You can carry this light-weight and space-friendly portable stand everywhere. Fit easily in mid to large-size bags or backpacks
- Dimension:28x20.5x1cm/”11x8.1x0.39". Fit for home, school, office, library, dorm,etc
Who says function can’t be fashionable? This is definitely the case with this awesome looking book stand. The HENGSHENG book stand is made out of ornately carved bamboo sure to get noticed. But not only does it look good… it works great.
Stable and Sturdy
10. Esschert Design Cast Iron Cookbook Stand (Best Iron Book Stand)
- Esschert Design cast-iron cookbook stand provides the perfect resting spot for any cookbook while keeping it open to exactly the page you need
- Practical and beautiful; an item you will want to proudly display
- This traditional Victorian cast-iron cookbook holder with an antique rust finish will be an elegant addition to your kitchen counter
- Just lay your book on this sturdy stand, and the weighted page holders will keep your pages laying flat and easy to read
- Measures 10-7/10 by 5-1/2 by 9 inches
This iron stand is designed to bring life into any kitchen. Your cookbook will look just great when perched upon this stand. It does require some assembly, which may be difficult for some. Yet, when completed, this Victorian-inspired piece of art is well worth it.
Weighted Page Holders
Things to Consider when Purchasing a Book Stand
Purchasing a book stand doesn’t have to be the most difficult decision in your life. Let’s take a look at a few factors to consider when purchasing a book stand to make your process a little easier.
Height and Weight
When purchasing a book stand, you must take into consideration the dimensions that you need. Some book stands are great for tabletop reading, while others excel for other places. But what is the ideal height for you?
Did you know that if you focus on something too close to your eyes that you are putting undue strain on them? Or that looking at something too far away does the same? It goes beyond just nearsightedness or needing bifocals. Those with perfect vision can also fall prey to these conditions. This can lead to future eye problems or worsening of current ones.
According to healthguidance.org, the book or paper you are reading should generally be between 16 and 21 inches away from your eyes and a little bit below eye level. It’s actually easier to read looking down than looking up. Remember to keep this in mind when searching for a new book stand.
Another thing to take note of is the weight. For instance, would you want to get a cast iron book stand for an elderly individual or a child. Obviously, the answer is no. But besides from that why else should you worry about weight?
Let’s say you are reading in bed. You are following proper guidelines with the book stand on your lap with the book balanced inside. How heavy is your book? How heavy is the stand? Depending on the combined weight of the two, you aren’t doing yourself any favors. That could be just enough pressure to push down on your legs to reduce blood flow or place unwanted pressure on your nerves.
By keeping height and weight factors in mind when shopping, you are sure to make a better decision with your book holder selection.
Adjustability and Portability
Some people have a designated reading area. They have a special chair or bed they go to when ready to curl up with their next new adventure. But… others don’t. Some can just plop down anywhere and get right into it.
Now for those stationary readers using book stands… adjustability and portability become less of an issue. Simply find the right size with the right angle, and you’re all set. However, for those less static, these factors can become very important.
For instance, those using e-readers would love angle adjustability. We all know how it goes… sometimes the angle of our laptops or e-readers isn’t quite suited for the ambient light. Well with laptops, the solution is easy. Just angle your screen accordingly. E-readers or tablet-like electronics are a different story. These must be adjusted by being held differently and sometimes in awkward positions.
An adjustable book stand definitely can help with those kinds of situations.
Portability is another huge consideration. Is it practical to carry a full-size lectern from the living room to the kitchen just to hold your cookbook? No. What about travelers? Is it practical to bring a non-collapsible wrought iron book stand? Absolutely not.
Speaking of travelers, do you know the weight limit for international carry on baggage? It’s roughly 40 lbs. That includes the bag and its contents. Those who intend on doing some reading on a long flight may want to consider using their book stand. One designed for travel may be just what you need.
Material considerations are definitely something you should pay attention to. Here are two reasons why.
Material strength can be very important when choosing a book stand. Let’s just say you spend most of your time reading heavy textbooks. A simple plastic stand just isn’t going to cut it. The plastic may easily snap under the weight of the heavy book. But if you are using the book stand for smaller books (such as bedtime stories for children), maybe a plastic stand is a better option. One common lightweight material used is bamboo. Bamboo combines the best of both worlds allowing for maximum weight with minimal strain on the stand. As we will see next though, bamboo is not necessarily the best for all situations.
There are many reasons why one would use a reading stand. Some use them in bed. Others at a desk. But what does this have to do with the material of the stand itself. Everything. For example, you use your book stand in the kitchen to hold up your recipe book. You are making your Grandma’s world famous chicken pot pie. YUM! Now, in this recipe, it calls for cleaning and preparing a whole chicken. As those who cook know… cleaning a chicken can get a little dirty sometimes. But that’s ok. We can just clean it up, right? Well, yes and no.
Let’s just say some of that chicken juice went flying and got onto your book stand. With wooden or bamboo book stands… this may not be desirable. You see, the wooden or bamboo stand may actually soak up some of that chicken juice along with whatever bacteria may be hiding in it. Wiping this down will help, but the risk of contamination is definitely still there. In this case, a metal or sturdy acrylic may be best. The Spruce Eats puts out an interesting article on this as it applies to cutting boards, but the principle is still the same. Use non-porous materials for kitchen use.